Wilson Tigard arrived in the area known as East Butte in 1852 and settled with his family. Tigard¹s son, Charles F. Tigard, built a general store, a meeting hall and later served on the Oregon Legislature. The general store became the home for the area¹s post office, which prompted the renaming of East Butte to Tigardville by Charles F. Tigard in honor of his father. Tigardville remained a small farming community until the arrival of the Oregon Electric Railroad (OERR) in 1910. The OERR not only brought the development of Main Street, but also shortened Tigardville to Tigard, distinguishing it from neighboring community, Wilsonville.