3. Giant Sequoias, Washington County Courthouse (Sequoiadendron giganteum)
The majestic trees that grace the grounds of the Washington County Courthouse were planted in 1880 as three year old seedlings by pioneer nurseryman John R. Porter. The Porter family came west to Oregon, from Ohio, in 1847. John Porter developed an interest in trees and started a nursery on his farm. When word of the California Gold Strike reached Oregon, he rushed there to seek his fortune. On his way to California, he was awe struck by a Sequoia forest in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Not finding the riches he had sought, Porter filled his saddle bags with cones and returned to his nursery in Oregon. Porter cultivated the seeds and planted the seedlings at various sites including the entrance to the Washington County Courthouse. Five trees remain of the original eight that were planted.
These trees are significant to the region by serving as a living legacy left by our pioneer ancestors and providing a link to the rural background of a rapidly growing area.
The trees are located on the grounds of the Washington County Courthouse, 1st Ave. and Main Street, Hillsboro.
Height: Approximately 150'
D.B.H.: 29.8' (largest of specimens)
Age: 120 years
Dedicated: April 11, 1997