Historical Markers in Oregon
Oregon's Historical Markers have a history of their own. Many were built by the Oregon Department of Transportation in the 1940's, 50's and 60's. They are majestic, routed wood signs made from native Port Orford cedar and routed by master craftsmen. When the Travel Information Council adopted the program in 1991, signs had not been built for many years and many were suffering the effects of Oregon's climate.
The Travel Information Council is currently restoring old markers with the assistance of dedicated volunteers. Recent markers tell their tales through panels of colorful text and graphics mounted on cedar frames and posts. Old and new markers not only tell the stories of Oregon, they reflect the changing perspective of Oregon history.