Still in use below this point-were opened on New Years Day, 1873, when the steamer Maria Wilkins became the first vessel to navigate up the west end of Willamette Falls.
Regions: Greater Portland
Oregon City - once known as Willamette Falls - was early the site of an Indian salmon fishing village.
Oregon City - supply point for pioneer emigrants was first located as a claim by Dr. John McLoughlin in 1829.
The Pioneer Road here detoured the Columbia River Rapids and Mount Hood to the Willamette Valley. The road at first followed an old Indian trail. The later name was Barlow Road.
The prominent monolith across the river was named Beacon Rock by Lewis and Clark, November 2, 1805.
Captain George Vancouver in a voyage of exploration to the northwest coast of America ordered by the British Admiralty Office assigned Lieutenant William Robert Broughton, Commander of
On Oct. 30th, 1792 off the point in the Columbia River where the Sandy empties its waters the boat crew from the H.M.S.
This pioneer community gateway to the Columbia Gorge was settled in the 1850’s.
This short trail leads to the Willamette Stone, the surveyor's monument that is the point of origin for all public land surveys in Oregon and Washington. The landmark was established on June 4, 1851 by John B.
This marks the land claim of Joseph L.