The main village of the Siuslaw Indian Tribe was situated west of this location near the mouth of the North Fork of the Suislaw River. A.R. McLeod, Hudson Bay Company fur trader, and a company of ten men led an exploring party into this valley in July, 1826. He and his party were the first White men to cross the river bar and camp in this area. McLeod bartered with the Suislaws for Beaver and otter furs. Many years later, members of this same friendly Indian Tribe signed a major treaty with the United States Government, thereby insuring peaceful conditions for the early pioneers of the valley.